The College of Engineering’s weekly update aims to provide transparent and frequent information about how the College is operating, adapting and caring for its community. Updated information can always be found at the College’s COVID website. Questions and feedback can be submitted here.
As you probably know, COVID-19 cases are rising in many places across the country and here in Washtenaw county.
In the College of Engineering, cases have been managed in a proactive manner. Thank you to everyone who has been transparent and thoughtful in both communicating with their instructors and supervisors when they tested positive or have been exposed to COVID-19, as well as in following public health protocols to keep the risk of community spread low.
Please remember to follow these key preventive measures to ensure North Campus remains safe for everyone:
- Wear a face covering, including outside
- Maintain six feet of distance from others
- Avoid large groups and do not move furniture to congregate
- Use the day pass for visitors
- Use the ResponsiBLUE app every day
- Do not come to work if your ResponsiBLUE check is red, or if you have been told to isolate or quarantine
- Clean all work surfaces before and after use and follow increased cleaning and safety procedures in labs
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer if soap and water is not readily available
- Avoid touching your face
STAFFING LEVELS: NOV 20-JAN 19
Between Nov. 20 when the students go fully remote and Jan. 19 when the semester begins, there will be much lower density in Engineering buildings. However, certain activities will continue to be supported in-person by staff, including:
- Research labs
- Facilities management including docks
- Study spaces for students
Unit Administrators and Directors will be working with managers to anticipate staffing needs, then craft and communicate unit-specific plans – allowing for the flexibility each area requires.
In addition, building access during holiday season days will be limited to CoE faculty, students and staff.
EXTRA SEASON DAYS
In special recognition of extraordinary efforts to advance its missions during the COVID-19 pandemic, the university has awarded eligible faculty and staff three additional paid days off for the upcoming holiday breaks. These additional season days, made as a one-time award for 2020, are Nov. 25 and Dec. 23-24.
- Employees should use the “SEA” time code for these days.
- Employees who must work on a season day should use the “SEW” code and will receive an equivalent amount of vacation hours as an addition to their vacation accrual.
DECEMBER PAY DATE MOVING TO END OF MONTH
All U-M employees who are paid on a monthly basis will receive their paycheck on the last workday of the month, December 31. This change aligns the December pay date with the pay dates for the other 11 months in the year. If you have any questions regarding this change, please email email@example.com.
PLANNING REMOTE OFFICE HOURS
With the end of semester approaching and on-campus classes ending at Thanksgiving, remote office hours will become increasingly important in the coming weeks. To help you prepare, visit the Nexus Faculty Resources website for tips, best practices, and resources to consider when offering remote office hours.