Help build our knowledge base!

If you have questions or concerns, you’re probably not the only one. If you have ideas or tips to share, others might benefit too. Please use our feedback form to make your voice heard.

Find Your FAQ


Does the cap for online credits toward the degree still apply?
No. None of the credits earned in Winter 2020 (and presumably Spring/Summer 2020) will count toward the limit on how many credits can be earned via online courses. (Updated 3/26/2020)

How does the Alternate Grading Policy affect me?
See Alternate Grading Policy and Grading FAQ for undergrads. (Updated 3/20/2020)

Food and Housing

How often will surfaces in College of Engineering buildings be cleaned?
The university is taking extra precautions to clean high-touch surfaces on campus, including dining areas, classrooms, healthcare facilities and recreational facilities. If you have questions regarding additional cleaning that may be needed for suspect or confirmed COVID-19 cases, contact the Facilities Service Center at 734-647-2059. (Updated 3/25/2020)

Will blue busses continue to operate? Is it safe to use public transportation?
Logistics, Transportation and Parking is operating on a modified schedule; you’ll need to use the rear doors to get on and off the bus. (Updated 3/25/2020)

Employment & General Operations

How will HR documents that require signatures or sensitive data (such as for new hires) be managed if we go fully remote?
You should work closely with College of Engineering HR on a case-by-case basis for immediate hires. Future dated hires can be addressed in the recovery phase. (Updated 3/25/2020)

How will we continue to pay our pool employees?
COVID-19 pay has been established to help; we’re waiting for guidance from the federal government. This will need to be addressed in the recovery phase. We recommend leaving the staff on the current research project until we know more. (Updated 3/24/2020)

How will I-9 forms be completed?
Currently all I9’s are being completed at the Shared Services Center. Should that change, we will forward information from Central HR as to how to manage all HR activities including I9’s. (Updated 3/24/2020)

What should we do about mail delivery?
All USPS mail for the college will be forwarded to the Lurie Engineering Center and will be sorted by department. Contact Scott Campbell to coordinate a contactless exchange. If you’ve previously contacted the USPS to stop delivery you can either wait for the stop request to expire or contact the Stadium Avenue USPS branch to resume delivery. (Updated 5/19/2020)

Will faulty and staff be reimbursed for service expenses (ie. expanded Internet service) associated with working and/or teaching remotely?
We don’t know yet, but we will address this in our COVID-19 Recovery planning. There is now a new program code, COVID, within M-Pathways for tracking expenses. Also be aware that some service providers are relaxing limits on things like mobile data.(Updated 3/19/2020)

Does the University’s recommendation to work remotely if at all possible also apply to staff?
Yes. The University and college both strongly advise that all work activities be moved to remote work. A formal telecommuting agreement is not necessarily required; find more information on the University Human Resources site. (Updated 3/19/2020)

Can we park wherever we want while operations are disrupted?
For the most up to date information about parking visit Logistics, Transportation & Parking. (Updated 3/19/2020)

How does COVID-19 pay work and who’s eligible?
Check the University Human Resources website, the COVID-19 policy chart, or ask your supervisor for guidance. (Updated 3/19/2020)

What do we do about shipments that are en route or scheduled to be delivered to University buildings?
Make every effort to cancel them. No equipment purchased from a grant or purchase order can be delivered to a non-University address. For purchases of supplies needed to do your work remotely using a Pcard, talk to your supervisors. (Updated 3/19/2020)

Health & Safety

Does the University have to follow the Washtenaw County Health Department requirement to screen staff (those who are deemed essential employees) before they enter university buildings?
No, the Washtenaw County ruling does apply to the University of Michigan. (4/10/2020)

If a person who is in a building is diagnosed with COVID-19, what will happen to the staff working in that building?
We’re working on how to respond to this type of situation, with guidance from the University. Check the University’s COVID-19 site for the latest information. (Updated 3/19/2020)

I’m stressed about the COVID-19. What resources are available?
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is available for students. The CDC makes recommendations on managing stress during COVID-19 on its website. And this U-M health blog offers ideas on what you can do to help your community. (3/17/2020)

What should I do if I’m sick?
Follow CDC Guidelines. If you are a student and you suspect you may have COVID-19, please contact your healthcare provider or University Health Services (734-764-8320) to consult with someone about your symptoms and determine next steps for your care. Connect with your instructors and let them know. You can also schedule a meeting with the C.A.R.E. Center to help navigate your illness and academics. (updated 4/10/2020)

Research Operations

Can my research group have access to my on-campus lab to maintain equipment and/or experiments?
Those who have already been approved for COVID19 research or access for safety or mission-critical activities may continue to have access, but they will have to follow additional guidelines and protocols. For details on building access for research, see the Office of Research website and Campus Operations on this site. (Updated 5/19/2020)

This move to off-campus research may slow down or temporarily halt my research program. What should I do first to help my students and post docs?
This is a stressful time for everyone, and the situation continues to evolve. Our students and post docs may feel particularly ill at ease with the uncertain state of their research programs.We encourage doctoral students, post docs, and faculty advisors to communicate openly about their expectations and to come to mutual agreement about how research projects will be conducted moving forward as they proceed off campus. It is expected that faculty will work with their students and post docs to accommodate their individual situations. (Updated 3/20/2020)

Teaching & Learning

Will the College set new standards for grading and course requirements going forward?
Changes in the grading and course requirements are for Winter 2020 only at this time. (4/10/2020)

I disagree with my professor’s expectations and priorities given that class is now online. Who can I talk to?
If you can’t resolve conflicts with instructors directly, you should work with your department chair.  If that doesn’t not provide relief, then undergrads should contact Assoc. Dean Millunchick, and graduate students should contact Assoc. Dean Mycek. (4/10/2020)

Can I unilaterally change all of my courses to pass/fail? Should I?
See the Grading FAQ. (4/10/2020)

Can I take an incomplete and finish coursework in the fall? (And could this be done without charging me more tuition?)
Not at this time. You have the option of dropping classes until April 21st. (4/10/2020)

Will there be a difference in how students and faculty are expected to handle major requirement pre-req. classes (e.g., MECHENG 250 to prepare for MECHENG 350), major capstone classes, and electives?
Any changes in these class requirements will be done at the department level. Please check with your advisor. (4/10/2020)

What’s being done to keep people from cheating on exams?
Michigan Engineering students are bound by the Honor Code even off campus. Instructors are also encouraged to reconsider the format and delivery of exams and quizzes in a virtual context. (4/10)

Who pays for additional equipment faculty need in order to teach remotely?
The department is expected to pick up the additional costs of equipment to assist with online teaching. Please track these expenses with the program code, COVID, within M-Pathways. (Updated 3/19/2020)

Can I come into my office or classroom if I have bad Internet connectivity, and cannot readily work remotely to record and/or deliver lectures?
Everyone is strongly encouraged not to work in College buildings, however, Mcard access is currently available to authorized employees, and there is no permission required to enter one’s office. We recognize that individuals may have legitimate reasons to be in a building, but also expect them to exercise judgment to minimize their presence. (Updated 3/23/2020)

What is the recommended option for conducting exams online?
See Recommended Tools. (updated 5/26/2020)

How can I use a tablet as a replacement for a whiteboard when teaching remotely? (3/17/2020)

Which College of Engineering classrooms have whiteboard recording available?
See the CAEN Knowledge Base – whiteboard recording. (3/17/2020)

How do I make sure what I write on the whiteboard in a classroom is included in my lecture recording?
See the CAEN Knowledge Base – whiteboard recording. (3/17/2020)

How can I share the document camera output in a College classroom via BlueJeans?
See the CAEN Knowledge Base – document camera output. (3/17/2020)

Telecommuting & Remote Work

What should I do before I begin working remotely?
See the Telecommuting Resources page. (3/17/2020)

Due to travel restrictions, an external speaker is no longer able to attend my seminar/conference. How can they present remotely?
BlueJeans is an easy-to-use, cloud-based conferencing service at the University that offers audio, video, and screen sharing. It is open to all U-M faculty and staff, and when necessary the connection information for a BlueJeans meeting can be shared with external users. (3/17/2020)


Where can I find the latest University of Michigan information and resources on COVID-19?
University of Michigan Public Affairs COVID-19 site. (3/17/2020)

I have questions about the U-M response to COVID-19. Who can I talk to?
The University has activated its emergency call center to assist those with COVID-19 questions specifically related to U-M responses. It will be available 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday at 877-763-3040. (3/17/2020)

Where else can I get comprehensive information on COVID-19?
The CDC has a comprehensive website with regularly updated COVID-19 information. It includes information about managing stress during COVID-19how to protect yourself from COVID-19, and what to do if you’re sick. (3/17/2020)

How many cases are there in Washtenaw County? Where can I find out what’s happening locally?
Washtenaw County Health Department COVID-19 information. (3/17/2020)