If You Get Sick

Updated Sept 3, 2020

Reporting and Accommodating an Illness

If you’ll be away from class because of illness, let your instructors know as soon as possible. The College has a process by which you may receive accommodations if you’re unable to continue in class for medical reasons.

Help us help you

There are two ways for you to report that you’re ill or need some form of support. It’s your call, but we recommend doing both.

Contact the C.A.R.E. Center
Use the Illness Reporting Form

The Illness Reporting Form (created and hosted by LSA), automatically generates a message to each of the student’s instructors. (Please know that this process does not inform the C.A.R.E. Center.)

NOTE: During the 2020-2021 academic year, the Illness Reporting Form will offer additional reporting options in order to better support students who may be ill or quarantined for reasons related to the continued COVID-19 pandemic.

What to Expect

After submitting Illness Reporting Form

After submitting the form, an email will be automatically sent to your instructors and academic advisor with the details you provided in the form. An email will be sent to you as well, confirming the report and providing additional information on what you need to do next.

As soon as you are able, you will need to contact each of your instructors regarding staying on track in the course, and your options for making up missed work. While this notification does not constitute an excused absence, we encourage you to talk with your instructors individually to find out what documentation (if any) they may need from you based on their individual course policies. We also encourage you to keep in touch with your academic advisor, especially if you have additional academic concerns.

NOTE: During the 2020-2021 academic year, a self-report of illness or quarantine related to COVID-19 will constitute an excused absence.

Documenting Absences

If your absence due to illness or unanticipated circumstances causes you to miss an assignment, an exam or any other required work for the class affecting the course grade, your instructor has the right to require additional documentation verifying the cause of absence. If the instructor excuses the absence, the options available to make up that missed work may be limited and will be determined by the instructor within the limits of the course.

You’ll be held to the expectations outlined in the Engineering Academic Rules, Rights and Responsibilities when seeking any accommodation due to absence.

Accommodation Policies

In general, the C.A.R.E. Center, in collaboration with the Dean of Students office and UHS, will work with you and your instructor to reach a reasonable and appropriate accommodation. 

Helping a Student Catch up on Coursework 

In situations where a student falls behind in class due to illness but wishes to continue, the instructor should work with the student, in collaboration with the C.A.R.E. Center, to find reasonable and appropriate accommodations such as extensions on course assignment deadlines and the like. 

Changing the Mode of Participation 

In the case of quarantine or asymptomatic self-isolation, a reasonable accommodation may be the way in which students participate in class. For example, if a student who attends class in person is in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19, they are required to quarantine for 14 days. Thus, they should let the instructor know that they need to attend the class remotely for that period of time. Students who already attend remotely would not need to let the instructor know in this situation. 

Withdrawals vs. Incompletes

There are two typical accommodation outcomes in the case that the student cannot continue in class due to illness:

  • If the student completed ~75% of the course, the student is eligible for an Incomplete. An “I” will appear on the transcript until the final grade is submitted. In the case that the coursework is not completed by the end of the student’s next complete term, the “I” will lapse to an “E.” Therefore, it is imperative that the instructor and student have an explicit understanding as to the requirements to finish the course, and the expected timeline.
  • If the completion is <75%, then a complete withdrawal from the course may be warranted. The withdrawal deadline is the last day of the classes in F20. No credit for the course will be earned, and there will be no indication that the student attempted the course on the transcript.

Health & Wellness Support

Michigan Engineering provides a number of resources for students seeking health and wellness support.

For more information, please see Health and Wellness

Who Covers the Cost of Testing and Treatment?

It depends on your insurance plan, so you should call the phone number on the back of your insurance card and check with your provider. The U-M health insurance plans, including the International Student/Scholar Health Insurance Plan, and the plans administered by the U-M Benefits Office do cover medically necessary health care costs related to testing and treatment for infectious diseases and medical conditions, including COVID-19.

More Resources