Policies Regarding Accommodations for Student Medical Issues

Dear Faculty, 

The University put in place a number of academic policies in light of the unusual semester we are in, including extending the undergraduate and graduate withdrawal deadlines, altering the undergraduate grading scheme to ABC;NRC, and altering the graduate grading scheme to AB;NRC. This email focuses on existing College policies regarding students who seek accommodations due to medical issues, and how they apply in the current context.

There are several sections in the email that cover:

  • Reporting student concerns
  • College policies around providing accommodations for students with medical issues
  • Additional resources 

Please let us know if you have any comments or concerns.

Be safe and healthy,

Joanna Millunchick, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education
Mary-Ann Mycek, Associate Dean for Graduate & Professional Education 



Joanna Mirecki Millunchick, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education
College of Engineering, University of Michigan
(734) 761-7150


Mary-Ann Mycek, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Graduate & Professional Education
College of Engineering, University of Michigan
(734) 647-6851


There are a number of ways in which concerns about students, whether they are ill or need some other form of support, can be reported.

  • Concerns regarding both undergraduate and graduate students may be directed to the C.A.R.E. Center, by phone (734-763-1131), via email at engin-support@umich.edu, or through this form.
  • Students may self-report any concerns, including testing positive for COVID-19, via this reporting form (created and hosted by LSA), which automatically generates a message to each of the student’s instructors. Please know that this process does not inform the C.A.R.E. Center. If you receive such a message you should also reach out to the C.A.R.E. Center to let them know.



The College has a process by which students who are unable to continue in class for medical reasons may receive accommodations. In general, the C.A.R.E. Center, in collaboration with the Dean of Students office and UHS, works with the student and instructor to reach a reasonable and appropriate accommodation. 


Accommodation: Helping a Student Catch up on Coursework 

In situations where a student falls behind in class due to illness but wishes to continue, we ask that the instructor work with the student, in collaboration with the C.A.R.E. Center, to find reasonable and appropriate accommodations such as extensions on course assignment deadlines and the like. 


Accommodation: Changing the Mode of Participation 

In the case of quarantine or asymptomatic self-isolation, a reasonable accommodation may be the way in which students participate in class. For example, if a student who attends class in person is in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19, they are required to quarantine for 14 days. Thus, they should let the instructor know that they need to attend the class remotely for that period of time. Students who already attend remotely would not need to let the instructor know in this situation. 


Accommodation: Withdrawals vs. Incompletes

There are two typical accommodation outcomes in the case that the student cannot continue in class due to illness:

  • If the student completed ~75% of the course, the student is eligible for an Incomplete, at the instructor’s discretion. An “I” will appear on the transcript until the final grade is submitted. For undergraduates, in the case that the coursework is not completed by the end of the student’s next complete term, the “I” will lapse to an “E.” Therefore, it is imperative that the instructor and student have an explicit understanding as to the requirements to finish the course, and the expected timeline.
  • If the completion is <75%, then a complete withdrawal from the course may be warranted. The withdrawal deadline for F20 is the last day of classes. No credit for the course will be earned, and there will be no indication that the student attempted the course on the transcript.